The steps below should be started as soon as possible after deciding to become married:
Contact Your Parish
Contact and meet with your parish pastor, Father Michael Savickas, or a deacon as soon as you become engaged.
At this meeting you will:
- Set and/or confirm the wedding date
- Complete the church pre-nuptial forms (A-form)
- Acquire Baptismal certificates
- Make arrangements to complete a "premarriage inventory" (PMI)
Attend a Marriage Preparation Course
The Church invites you to devote at least six (6) months to prepare for your marriage and focus on your relationship. During this time you and your fiancé will:
- Discuss the results of your PMI (usually 2 to 4 sessions)
- Attend a "marriage preparation" program suggested by your parish. A number of Marriage Preparation Programs are offered in various formats throughout the diocese.
Plan the Wedding Liturgy
- Meet with your parish pastor or deacon to plan the Liturgy.
From the Guideline Canon Law 1119 and The Rite of Marriage:
- The celebration of marriage between two Catholics should normally be celebrated within Mass.
- The celebration of marriage between a Catholic and a baptized person of another faith may be celebrated within Mass.
- The celebration of marriage between a Catholic and a non-baptized person is normally celebrated within the Liturgy of the Word.
- Consult with the parish music minister.
- Obtain marriage license.
- Schedule rehearsal for ceremony
Marriage Blessings and Renewal of Vows
To have your marriage blessed or to renew your vows, please contact the rectory at (248)624-1421.